Tom's 30th birthday was on Saturday the 24th and the kids and I decided to surprise him with a huge party with all his friends and family. The kids did awesome and kept the secret for weeks as we prepared for the big day. On Saturday, two of Tom's brothers took him out for the afternoon to golf 9 holes while we frantically cleaned, picked up the food, and decorated the backyard. One side note...the weather gave us MASSIVE stress because it was raining and freezing all week long. I didn't know what I was going to do if it rained on Saturday...I would have had to stuff 50 people in the house! Thankfully the weather held on and it was dry and warm!
Everyone arrived at 5:30 and parked in the church parking lot next door and walked over. We all gathered in the backyard and when Tom pulled up I ran out and told him he needed to run to the back because the kids turned on the hose and it was leaking and I couldn't get it turned off. (This has actually happened before so I knew it would get him running into the backyard!) When he came around the corner everyone yelled "SURPRISE" and Tom was totally shocked. It was awesome. We then ate dinner catered from Tom's favorite place, Matiki Island BBQ, had cake and opened presents. It was such a fun night and we were so amazed at all the people who came to help Tom celebrate being "old"!
Tom's first reaction when he saw the packed backyard.
Tom's work peeps: Bart Strong, John Tracy, Traci and baby Kennedy McKinney, McKay and Nikki Pinegar with their youngest Oakley, and Hailey and Brandon McKinney.
Tom opening his present from me and the kids after the party ended...it was a BYU football that was signed by the entire team! I was working with the athletics department there because of a fundraiser my work was putting on and when I went to pick up the items for that I mentioned to the director how much my husband wanted a signed football and he said that they stopped signing stuff for the public but because he had been working with me on the fundraiser if I wanted to go to the bookstore and buy a football he would get it signed by the team for me. I was so excited! It's always so hard to think of a present for Tom that is unique and has meaning.
Oh, and here is the slideshow I made for his birthday that was running during the party...it's 30 years of Tom in 10 minutes! :)
4 comments:
Carrie, you did an awesome job with the whole party and the video was so sweet!! It was fun to come and celebrate the big 3-0 with you guys. Thanks again for a great time!
Traci
Good job pulling off an awesome birthday party. I wasn't there but it looked like a fabulous time. Happy 3-0 Tom.
Carrie, how awesome that you were able to pull it off! I've only had one surprise party and it wasn't really a huge surprise cause I figured it out, but don't tell Trent cuz he'll probably be a little broken hearted. That is if he remembers.
That's great! Good for you for pulling it off and making his b-day so fun. I'm loving the football, what an awesome present.
Mary's engaged? Hello? You guys need to keep me informed!
Post a Comment